Bangladesh has its share of different Islamic terrorist groups about 12 in number. All the groups have come into existence in last two decades. The estimated and claimed total number of supporters of all 12 groups is around 32 lakhs. Current AL led govt. and earlier BNP led govt. tried to contain some of those groups for political reasons. A sum-up of the objectives of those terrorist organisations are given below:
1. To establish the rule of Islam in Bangladesh through Jihad.
2. To re-establish Khilafat.
3. To fight against secular image of Bangladesh like Bengali New Year.
4. To fight against Bengali cultural activities.
5. To fight against democracy and electoral process as these are un-Islamic.
6. To root out minorities from Bangladesh.
7. To renounce liberation war of 1971 and Constitution.
8. To convert whole world to Islam and place under the leadership of a Bangladeshi Imam Uz Zaman.
It is actually a power game of different schizophrenic groups. Only the means is Islam here. A popular public opinion across Bangladesh against these terrorist groups is conspicuous by its absence. Low literacy level and general poverty may be the reasons. Moreover, Kwomi madrassas are producing youths with unifocal vision and semiliterate Maulavis/Mullahs are preaching many fictitious things about Islam to glorify it.
Will right thinking Bangladeshi youths mobilise the community against the teachings and activities of all such terrorist groups is a million dollar question?